[Tutor] [Q] Install Python in RedHat

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:14:04 -0500

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:34:34AM -0600, Young-Jin Lee wrote:
| Hi, I have a question on how to install Python in redhat linux. (I was using
| Python in windows and now I want to use it on linux.)
| I downloaded the latest version of Python (2.2c1) into home directory. I,
| then, did gunzip, tar xvf, ".configure", and make. After I tried to run
| python interpreter after installation, I still got the python 1.5.2, not
| python 2.2.2 rc1. I guess the reason is I should install the new python in
| the right place. I downloaded it into my user directory and did above things
| on that directory.
| Where is the right place to install the newer version of Python?

# make install

I suggest getting package instead, though.  Someone has surely made an
rpm of it, or you can make your own if you find a srpm.

| What should I do to make the newer version to be a default Python
| interpreter for the linux?

That depends.  How does python get run, *by all scripts or programs
that run it*?

For Debian systems there is a policy that allows multiple simultaneous
python installes.  For example I have the python2.1' and 'python2.2'
packages installed.  Thus I have /usr/bin/python2.1 and
/usr/bin/python2.2 (/usr/bin/python is a symlink to python2.1).
Scripts can then either specify the version they want or use the
default.

HTH,
-D

--

Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut!