[Tutor] ok, I want to read a dir.

Michael P. Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:37:15 -0500

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:13:56PM -0500, Kirk Bailey wrote:
> ok, it worked. Too well, it worked.
>
> It returned the file names, and included in the return is the path!
>
> Lookee:
[lookee snipped]

> See, those lines should be the bare name of the thing, a space, then the
> firstline of the info file. Well, ir read the info file pretty slick.
> Accessed the riretory structure just fine. Seems I want to massage the
> elements in the list, or at least in A list, so everything but the first
> part of the file is GONE. Strip off the path, then strip off the .info
> part, leaving us with pure NAME. That name is the name of a list. That
> btw is in my server now, and those are the info files for 3 lists NOW
> working with TLpost.py NOW. snurklechortlegloat...

Then you might want to look at what the glob module is doing.  It uses
os.listdir and the fnmatch module.

def nopath_glob(dir, pattern):
  import os, fnmatch

  files = os.listdir(dir)
  results = []
  for fname in files:
    if fnmatch.fnmatch(fname, pattern):
      results.append(fname)
  return results

About the only real difference is that the glob function joins the
directory and file names together first.

This is just the pedantic version.. the same thing is done with
glob.glob1.

  -Arcege