[Tutor] Building Python Source with Cygwin?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:52:38 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Kojo Idrissa wrote:

> I know this is sort of off-topic, but I figured someone here might know.
>
> I recently installed a lot of the Cygwin stuff on my machine (GCC, etc...).
>
> Can I take the Python source from any of my Linux CD's and build it
> for Win2K with Cygwin?  I'm pretty sure source is source, but I'm just
> wondering if I can now take any related source (SWIG, Jython, etc...)
> from anywhere and build it on my Win2K box or partition.

Yes, this should work, as there is one unified source code distribution
(the .tgz file) available on Python.org for each version release.

However, before doing anything, you'll really want to look at the README
file that's in the root of the source code distribution --- it talks a lot
about compilation issues that you might want to look at before tearing
your hair out in frustration.  *grin*

I've heard that a lot of compilation issues have been resolved in the more
recent Python releases, so you might want to try Python 2.1 or 2.2 in
preference over older releases.  If you have compilation problems, you can
ask questions on comp.lang.python --- the Visual C++ wizards on the
newsgroup can help you.

Good luck to you!