[Tutor] PythonPath Stickiness

Fred Allen fallen@leveltwo.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:31:52 -0800

Dear Sirs and Mesdames:

I 've recently gotten a new system, which operates under MS Windows 2000
Pro and whereupon I've installed Python 2.2 and a coterie of adjuncts.
For reasons obscure to me, my PYTHONPATH environmental variable seems
ignored.  I believe when I enter the 'python' command, the command
processor should first search my current directory and, failing to find
the executable therein, proceed to search in sequence all directories
listed under the 'path' environmental variable and then, still failing
to find 'python.exe' proceed likewise, searching through those
directories associated with the environmental variable 'PYTHONPATH.'
Mine behaves otherwise, as the screen listing below attests.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>set PYTHONPATH
PYTHONPATH=C:\Python22\;C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\demo\

C:\>python
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>cd Python22

C:\Python22>python
Python 2.2c1 (#27, Dec 14 2001, 13:15:16) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

I'll be grateful for any help.  With thanks in advance, I am,

Respectfully,

Fred Allen