[Tutor] Building Python Source with Cygwin?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:10:59 -0000

> I recently installed a lot of the Cygwin stuff on my machine
> (GCC, etc...).

Me too, it's pretty cool huh?

> Can I take the Python source from any of my Linux CD's and
> build it for Win2K with Cygwin?

Pretty much but there is an official Cygwin python that has
already done that for you. Its currently at Python2.1 but
2.2 should be along real soon. It includes the readline
module which makes life in a DOS box/Bash shell much easier.

> wondering if I can now take any related source (SWIG, Jython,
> etc...) from anywhere and build it on my Win2K box or partition.

Thats the idea, once you get the LD-LIB paths and other config
bits sorted out it should build fairly seamlessly, although
I've not tried anything non-trivial yet myself.

Alan G.