[Tutor] Compiling Python Scripts

Jose Alberto Abreu abreu@penguinpowered.com
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:09:15 -0600

Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Cameron wrote:
>
> > I want to compile some of my Python scripts into executable programs
> > to distribute to some friends who don't have the Python interpreter...
> > is there any way to do this? I was unable to find the answer in the
> > documentation.
>
> The answer is, in part, dependent upon the platform -- which you didn't
> specify.
>
> _Deirdre

OK, I have the same question, so I'll specify the platform: Windows

I already can cheerfully distribute my programs to my Linux using
friends, because practically all distributions install Python by default
(most of the times 1.5.2).
But in all honesty you cannot ask your grandmother to download Python
and go through the installation motions just so that she can run the
whizbang shopping list manager(TM) that you made for her...

It would be a lot easier if there was a way to incorporate the
interpreter, your program, and all required modules in a self-extracting
.exe
That way granny would only need to doubleclick on the icon on her
windows desktop to run her whizbang shopping list manager(TM)

Probably this would require some closed source program like
InstallShield, but hopefully our resourceful and wise elders would have
already come to a Free(TM) solution.

----
Disclaimers: I do not make programs for my grandmother, I was just
trying to make a point. However Whizbang Shopping List Manager is (C)
and (TM) Jose Alberto Abreu 2001.  Free, of course is (C) and (TM)
Richard Stallman 1984.