[Tutor] Basic Question

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:59:02 +0100

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

Sorry for taking long to answer.

Sez Stevenson M Hickey:
> I was recommended to Python as an easy language to learn and an efficient
> language to program in.  I am wondering if anyone knows how to command
> the Jet DataBase engine of Microsoft with Python scripts?=20

I don't know much about Windows programming, but I hear that ODBC is the
favored way to access databases.  If this is true, I think mxODBC is a good
bet.  http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxODBC.html

More information on database access with python can be found on:
http://www.python.org/topics/database/

> More directly, I am looking for some amplification of the Tutorial in the
> form of some simple scripts that will make windows parse ascii texts in
> various ways.  In particular, I would like to be able to scan several
> files and combine them at will or take several lines from one and put it
> in another, etc.  Common CShell stuff.  I am running Windows 98 on a 400
> MHz Pentium 2 with 60 Mb Ram. =20
>=20
> I guess, before I get too deep into this kind of a problem, I need to get
> some practice doing the utmost simple API calls.=20

A few documentation pages that you might want to take a look at:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/builtin.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-string.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-re.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-fileinput.html

HTH,
  Kalle
--=20
Email: kalle@gnupung.net     | You can tune a filesystem, but you
Web: http://www.gnupung.net/ | can't tune a fish. -- man tunefs(8)
PGP fingerprint: 0C56 B171 8159 327F 1824 F5DE 74D7 80D7 BF3B B1DD

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--