[Tutor] simple server and client question

Bruce Sass bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:13:26 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Rob Andrews wrote:

> I hate to even ask this one, because it just doesn't *feel* specific
> enough, but my sad little plea will have to do.
>
> The mandate has come from above that I write a simple server and client
> in Python in preparation for a project in development.  The server and
> client can do absolutely anything, and barely that, if I so choose, as
> they will not be used in the project (unless my code is brilliant enough
> to be useful for the project, I suppose, which is unlikely as it's a
> Java project).  The important thing is that I understand how to write
> such things.
>
> So if anyone can recommend any good sources I can absorb and start
> tinkering, I'd be mighty appreciative.

Have a look at ftp://parcftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html

The scope is probably a little more than what you need, but it does
run on lots of platforms and supports clients and servers done in a
number of programming languages (python, c, c++, java,...), using a
couple(few?) interface specification languages (corba's IDL, and
ILU's ISL).

An interesting read if nothing else.

- Bruce