[Tutor] Python copyright question?

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:57:00 -0500

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 01:02:43PM -0800, folklore hopeful wrote:
| Hello everyone,
|
| I have made quite a few handy python/tkinter programs
| that the professors at my college would like to
| distribute to students in their classes.   Since
| downloading and installing python is a lot to ask of
| all the students, and since not all the students would
| have home computers, we are trying to come up with an
| alternate solution.  So far, we were thinking of
| distributing a cd-rom with python installed on it and
| the scripts for the programs I have written.  This
| way, students could use them either on their home
| computers OR on the college's comptuers (which don't
| take kindly to installations but will run CD-ROMs).
| Would this sort of copying be legal?
|
| Thanks,
|
| - pythoperson

I think it would be legal to copy the interpreter like that.  But I'm
not a lawyer, so don't quote me.  The license is freely available,
and the interpreter is freely available as well.  It would probably be
simpler for you to just install python on the school's computers.
(That is, get the appropriate authority's permission and have them set
up by the proper admin)

You should probably ask on python-list since there are people with a
better understanding of the license.

Programs such as py2exe and Gordon McMillan's installer allow you to
package the interpreter with your program into an installer (for
Windows) so I don't think there is any problems with redistributing
the interpreter.

HTH,
-D