[Tutor] Python copyright question?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:22:31 -0500

[folklore hopeful]

Cool handle!

> So far, we were thinking of distributing a cd-rom with
> python installed on it and the scripts for the programs
> I have written.  This way, students could use them either
> on their home computers OR on the college's comptuers
> (which don't take kindly to installations but will run
> CD-ROMs).  Would this sort of copying be legal?

You didn't say which version of Python you're using.  Each version comes
with a license.  Read the license -- it's good practice for the Real World
<wink>.  All Python licenses to date allow you to make copies and do
distribution without asking for permission, or even telling us, unless
you're using the ActiveState distribution.  More details have to be gotten
from the specific license for the specific version of Python you're using.

While this is certainly not legal advice, just between us nobody has ever
gotten in any trouble for doing anything with Python, and that's the way we
like it.

share-and-enjoy-but-read-the-darn-license-first-ly y'rs  - tim