[Tutor] request for suggestions

Charlie Derr charlie@webmind.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:46:31 -0500

Bruce Sass wrote:

|Hi,
|
|On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Dinakar Desai wrote:
|> I am trying to learn python from scratch. I have been following this
|> mailing for sometime. I have learnt a lot from this group. I have been
|> reading about Tkinter and PyGTK+ and other GUI interface development
|> tools available for python. I use linux platform to learn python and
|> like to get my feet wet with GUI development.
|>
|> I come from powerbuilder and c++ background(i have not used C++ for GUI
|> development and not familiar with MFC class libraries). I would
|> appreciate, if you could suggest whether I should start learning Tkinter
|> or PyGTK+ or some other GUI tools.
|
|There is also PyQT, gratis and (more or less) liberated on unix
|platforms.  http://www.thekompany.com/projects/pykde
|
|The (inexperienced) impression I get when looking at Tkinter vs. PyQt
|is that PyQt is to Tkinter what Python is to Perl.

|- Bruce

I think it's also worth pointing out wxPython.  The boa contructor project
provides a very nice tool for building with wxPython.  If you do try boa,
you should check out the CVS version, as the release version is
substantially behind current development.

http://wxpython.sourceforge.net
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net

	good luck,
			~c