[tutor] example code

Tesla Coil tescoil@irtc.net
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:18:23 -0600

On 7 Jan 2001, John Murray wrote:
> Emailing source directly to the site would probably
> be easiest, in view of the small size of most scripts,

Were the source posted to a list, the site could just
draw directly from it, become a "best of" collection.
Other site maintainers could do the same thing, with
their different idea of what "best of" means.

>  I agree that the list would probably be the best
> place for comments.

I'd suggest that it could become a regular part of the
Tutor list process: post source that does just what you
wanted it to do, comment on what improvements you
think could be made but haven't written, and let others
point out those improvements that didn't occur to you.

I think it could get out of hand when source can be a
module waiting to happen; all someone needs to do is
reorganize it and add related functions the original script
didn't look to provide.  That goes beyond tutoring and
into development, but might well be a secondary school
that could stand to be constructed.  Going that far, one
might as well say to post stuff you're confident reflects
your competence.  I'm not sure what the protocol is for
proposing that python.org host a new list.  It could be
hosted elsewhere.  And I don't have in mind any name
to unambiguously describe such a list.

> I would like to see it strongly newbie oriented, so that
> raw newbies (like me!) can send in their stuff, no matter
> how crappy it might be.  Even one-liners can be useful
> and interesting.

That's some of the beauty of calling it unimportant source.
It doesn't matter if you're a neophyte or wizard, whether
your source is trivial or sublime, whether the program is a
handy utility or a total waste of system resources with no
output.  You decide it's unimportant enough source to post;
no one can look down on you given that standard.

That it's unimportant doesn't prevent it from being valuable.
One could provide valuable source and call it unimportant;
everyone can just wonder what your important stuff must
be like.  One could provide genuinely unimportant source,
just to demonstrate that you're at liberty not to have to do
Real Work all the time...