[Tutor] upgrading idle (fwd)

Bruce Sass bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:37:32 -0700 (MST)

:/  you'd think I knew how to spell by now, eh.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:52:47 -0700 (MST)
From: Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
To: Tom Connor <"duckpond(no spam)"@early.com>
Cc: tudor@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] upgrading idle

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Tom Connor wrote:
> I have python 1.5.2 installed on RH Linux 6.2 in /usr/bin/.  I tried
> updating idle from 0.4 to 0.5 but could not get it operating as the
> default.  So I upgraded to Python 2.0 and it is located in
> /usr/local/bin.  Python 1.5.2 is also there and I am having the same
> idle problem, I get the old idle.  Will uninstalling Python 1.5.2 solve
> this problem?

I noticed the same problem with 1.5.2 from Debian and 2.0 from
ActiveState.  Assuming you want both version on the system...

Have a look at idle.py from py2.0, the first line is:

	#! /usr/bin/env python

you will need to change it to:

	#! /usr/bin/env python2.0

and make sure python2.0 is on your path.
You will probably also want to symlink distinctive names for the two
versions of IDLE to the respective idle.py files.

later,

	Bruce