[Tutor] getpass

Jose Amoreira amoreira@mercury.ubi.pt
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:36:34 +0000

Hello!
Something odd happened to me with the getpass module. Let me cut and
paste from my shell:

pandora:pytut$ python
Python 2.0 (#4, Nov 24 2000, 11:42:48)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on linux2
>>> import getpass
>>> name = getpass.getpass('Type your name: ')
Warning: Problem with getpass. Passwords may be echoed.
Type your name: Rumpelstitskin

getpass gives this warning and indeed it echoes the typed input. I'm
running Linux kernel 2.2.14, something vaguely based on a reasonably
recent (2000) slackware distribution. Yesterday at home, I tried getpass
on my windows box (running Python 2.0 as well) and it ran OK. (I'm not
used to things working in mswin and failing in Linux; more often then
not, it's the other way around).
Can anybody help me with this? Many thanks!
Cheers,
Ze