[Tutor] functions, system statements, sleep

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:27:48 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, D-Man wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 06:07:31AM -0800, Matthias Hager wrote: | I'm
> a complete idiot, but when I create a function in Python, how do I run
> it? Say I create a function that has a main menu. And after the user
> goes through the introductory, how can I run the main_menu function? |
>
> First you will have to un-learn all the bad habits Perl taught you.

Whoa, whoa --- it's not bad, only different.  Perl has its own philosophy,
and there isn't a need to classify it as bad.  (Sorry about that --- I'm
just touchy sometimes...)

About calling conventions --- at least it isn't like Matlab: according to
Matlab, if we have a function that doesn't have parameters, it's illegal
to put:

    function()

Matlab will refuse to accept something logical like this --- it's wants to
just see

    function

without parenthesis.  Now that's evil.  *grin*