[Tutor] getpass

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:41:18 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named termios
> >>>

> So that's why. But why is termios missing when getpass is
> there? And where do I get a valid termios module?
>
> And for that I have no answer... anyone else have an idea?

It's an optional module --- if you compiled Python maually, you'll need to
turn it on from the Modules/Setup file.  For example, here's the entry
that's about termios:

###
# Some more UNIX dependent modules -- off by default, since these
# are not supported by all UNIX systems:

#nis nismodule.c -lnsl  # Sun yellow pages -- not everywhere
#termios termios.c      # Steen Lumholt's termios module
#resource resource.c    # Jeremy Hylton's rlimit interface
###

So that's probably why the import wasn't working.  You can just uncomment
that line and recompile, and things should work then.