[Tutor] Reading from a GUI

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:46:07 -0500

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 11:58:16AM +1100, wheelege wrote:

|   Hi,
|
|   Is this what you meant....
|
| PythonWin 2.0 (#8, Oct 19 2000, 11:30:05) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.
| Portions Copyright 1994-2000 Mark Hammond (MarkH@ActiveState.com) - see
| 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
| 'first line\012second line'
| first line
| second line
|
|   From that I gather that the escape code is \012 ?

What is meant by "escape code" can differ by useage.  For example, in
Eiffel you would use "%N" as the excape code for a newline.  \012 is
the octal value of the character.  0xA is the hexadeciaml value and 10
is the decimal value.  In C/C++/Java/Perl and Python \n is used as the
escape for a newline, but with the proper conversion you can use any
of these.

To "read from" a GUI you need to check the docs of the gui you are
using.  In GTK, for example, there is a funciton get_text in the
Gtk.Text widget (or some similar name).  The function returns a string
object.

import string

my_str = text_widget.get_text()
modified_str = string.replace( my_str, "\n" , "<br>" )
print my_str
pirnt modified_str

The text widget (text_widget) has already been created and bound to
the name.  I use the replace() function in the string module to
replace all newlines with "<br>".  I probably have the arguments in
the wrong order though. Use the following to find out which order to
use:

import string
print string.replace.__doc__

HTH,