[Tutor] String Replace..... [octal numbers]

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:48:30 -0000

> That is, it has to do with "octal" numbers, that is,
> numbers that are represented in terms of powers of 8's.
> Python shows us the special characters (newlines,
> tabs, etc.) in octal.  To tell the truth, I'm not
> quite sure why, but there's probably a good reason for it.

The PDP computers that Unix was born on used octal
for representing binary data. So Unix did the same.
C was built to write Unix so used the same convention.
Python is written in C and so followed C I guess.

Accidents of history are all around. :-)

Alan g