[Tutor] Hard drive searching

Doug Stanfield DOUGS@oceanic.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:55:44 -1000

You might find that the best way is to let the operating system do the hard
work.  It is usually optimised to do things like this.  You can then use
Python to deal with the results of the search.

How would you do this task if you were at a command prompt.  On a Linux
system I'd do something with 'locate' or 'find'.  To use that in Python look
into the os.popen
(http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/os-newstreams.html#l2h-907) or
os.spawnv (http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/os-process.html#l2h-995)
functions.  If you're on windows, popen in particular only works reliably
with Python 2.0 or better.

HTH

-Doug-