[Tutor] NEWBIE!! pipes

AquaRock7@aol.com AquaRock7@aol.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:52:06 EST

--part1_50.10cfb61b.27a9e306_boundary

What are pipes?  The docs barely touched this subject, it assumed you already
knew what they are...  From context I am gathering that it is a connection to
the kernel?  (maybe?)  How can I utilize this?

1 more quickie:
>if __name__ == '__main__':
>     main()

what is the pourpose if the above code?  It runs the sub main() (duh :) but,
why not just main() wihtout the if?  what is the conditional testing for?
and what are the variables __main__ and __name__?  i dont believe they are
defined in the program, so just what are they?  and, what does putting "__"
around a variable actually DO besides look cool ?

Thank you, ~Dustin

--part1_50.10cfb61b.27a9e306_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>What are pipes? &nbsp;The docs barely touched this subject, it assumed you already
<BR>knew what they are... &nbsp;From context I am gathering that it is a connection to
<BR>the kernel? &nbsp;(maybe?) &nbsp;How can I utilize this?
<BR>
<BR>1 more quickie:
<BR>&gt;if __name__ == '__main__':
<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;main()
<BR>
<BR>what is the pourpose if the above code? &nbsp;It runs the sub main() (duh :) but,
<BR>why not just main() wihtout the if? &nbsp;what is the conditional testing for? &nbsp;
<BR>and what are the variables __main__ and __name__? &nbsp;i dont believe they are
<BR>defined in the program, so just what are they? &nbsp;and, what does putting "__"
<BR>around a variable actually DO besides look cool ?
<BR>
<BR>Thank you, ~Dustin</FONT></HTML>

--part1_50.10cfb61b.27a9e306_boundary--