[Tutor] GUI toolkit decision

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:01:44 -0400

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:10:05AM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
| >could someone point me to an URL where I can read the pros and cons,
| >diffrences or advantages of Tkinter over WxWindows or vice-versa? I=B4=
m a bit

Do some searches of the comp.lang.python archives on google.  GUI
Toolkits are discussed periodically.

| >confused at the moment . I would like to develop standalone GUI applic=
ation
| >executables for The Win32 and Linux platform.
|=20
| Tkinter would also run on Macintosh. As far as looks go, Tkinter is
| imho the ugliest of interfaces,=20

I agree that Tkinter is ugly.

| but I understand wxWindows is closer to the Windows "look." You

If you are on MS Windows it is -- wxWindows is a set of wrappers
around the native toolkit that provide a consistent API.  If you are
on unix wxWindows looks like GTK or Motif (depending on which you
installed).  As I understand it there are also Mac and BeOS ports in
progress.

| might also consider Gtk+ -- I know there's support for it on
| Windows, but not sure how good that is (not being a Windows user).

I really like GTK+.  The GIMP works quite well on windows, but I
haven't tried any other gtk apps that have been ported.  Glade and
libglade are great for RAD development.

There is also Qt.

-D