[Tutor] using lift()

Daryl G gman_95@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 21:26:12 -0000

Hi,
I'm trying to get my chatgui window to appear on top of other non-python
windows when it receives a message, For example, user has some other
applicatin displayed and is covering the python chatgui, I need it to appear
on top of whatever application the user is using when a message is received.
When I use self.rootobj.lift(), this doesn't happen. My mouse just turns
into an hour glass when I move it over the chatgui. I can't even click on
anything in it or type anything  in there. I have to close the dos shell to
exit it.
#Threading class
class msgThread(threading.Thread):
    def __init__(self, rb):
        self.rootobj=rb

        #app.recdata.set()
        threading.Thread.__init__(self)

    def run(self):
        #st=self.rootobj.state()

        while 1:
            try:
                  data=app.tcpCliSock.recv(1024)
            except:
                  pass

            self.rootobj.lift()  #should bring chat gui to top
            app.recdata.set(data)

#Main code
root = Tk()
classtitle="chater"
root.title(classtitle)
app = App(root)

#Screen resolution must be set to 1024X768 or Gui  will be off the screen if
#the resolution is smaller
root.geometry('%dx%d+%d+%d' % (660,20,210,690))

#pass root object to thread
thread= msgThread(root)
thread.start()

root.mainloop()
app.tcpCliSock.close()

I have read all I could find on this, python.org and Tkinter and Python
Programming.
Is my logic wrong or is it not possible to do this?
Thanks
Daryl