[Tutor] Re: tabs vs spaces

Charlie Clark Charlie Clark <charlie@begeistert.org>
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:21:39 +0200

>Guido's "Python Style Guide" touches on the debate:
>
>    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0008.html
Thanx for the link. Quite a useful document. A prominent (top level) link to
it in the Python documentation might be a good idea.

>He says to use either tabs or spaces, but make sure to stick to only one
>of those choices.  Otherwise, dire catastrophe is bound to strike: tabs
>count for 8 spaces in Python, but some systems print out tabs as
>four.  It's a big mess.  *grin*
It is. Which is why I found the original post somewhat offensive.

>If you use a text editor that's aware of Python, you usually don't need to
>worry about the distinction.  In Emacs, PythonWin, and IDLE, pressing TAB
>will cause the editor to indent by four spaces, which is very nice.  What
>text editor do you use to edit Python code?
I use Pe for the BeOS and generally use tabs - most of my programming
experience has been with HTML pages with windows editors where tabs are more
convenient than spaces.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark