[Tutor] Prompt 2

steve lonetwin@yahoo.com
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 15:34:16 +0530

Hey there Ricky,

> >     OK, I am going to tell you step by step what I do.I write an smal=
> program in a text editor, save it, there is a problem with my computer =
that
> make me have to associate these kinds of files every time I load it so =
> associate it with the Python (command line) and run it. That is when th=
> prompt screen opens and then closes so fast that I can not read what is
> says. Could that have some thing to do with my properties setting? Pyth=
on
> is so confusing to run compared to Qbasic, which I have been using. Ric=
hard
> E. Parks 2

 I've been looking at u r mails since u joined in....looks like u r one o=
f=20
the as-new-as-can be newbie :)....ok here's the reply to u r question:

B'fore I go to the exact answer, lemme explain a few things...
    Python is a intepreted language, (I know u knew that...just trying to=
 be=20
complete...don't get offended if something sounds insulting to u r=20
knowledge)...but unlike qbasic it has an interactive prompt intepreter to=
o,=20
this helps u to try each python statement interactively b4 u put it all=20
together in a file and make a total working program out of it.
  When u invoke this, what u see is a ">>>" prompt with the version and o=
ther=20
info in a small window, that "looks" like the dos command prompt....on th=
e=20
other hand after writing the whole program, if u want to execute it what=20
"should" do is open a MS-DOS commond prompt (Start>Program Files>MS-DOS=20
Prompt) and type in
c:\[path-to-wherever]> python myproggy.py
    This will execute u r file (assuming that python.exe is in ur path=20
variable, and u r within the same directory where u have stored ur file=20
[myproggy.py].
    This brings us to what "I think" U are doing...u are creating the fil=
e,=20
saving it as myproggy.py, associating it with pytyhon and "double-clickin=
g"=20
it....what this does is calls the intepreter (b'cos of the=20
association)....executes the proggy (b'cos it is a nice, working python=20
program)...and "closes" the intepreter window ('cos it has nothing else t=
o do=20
)...now if u do wanna check if this is what is happening....that's simple=
,=20
insert the statement=20
raw_input() somewhere in u r program...what this will do is wait for u to=
=20
enter some-input followed by an enter...b4 going to the next statement...=
=2E

U'll know whats happening....hope this helps....if it doesn't or if somet=
hing=20
strange happens (like u r hard-disk goes up in flames) feel free to ask t=
he=20
tutor list again :)

Peace
Steve

P.S: the guys on this list are "very" helpful....change u r attitude, be=20
positive 'bout learning ...an' they'll be more than glad to help u out.
--=20
|||||||||#####||||||||
||||||||#######|||||||
||||||||# O O #|||||||
||||||||#\ ~ /#|||||||
||||||##||\_/||##|||||
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=09
Hello.  Just walk along and try NOT to think about your INTESTINES
being almost FORTY YARDS LONG!!
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D