[Tutor] Viewing __doc__ strings

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:54:11 -0500

"I am, therefore I think."

-----Original Message-----
From: tutor-admin@python.org [mailto:tutor-admin@python.org]On Behalf Of
Remco Gerlich
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 9:55 AM
To: tutor@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Viewing __doc__ strings

<snip>

Personally I use a little doc() function that goes like this:

def doc(x):
   print "Object:", `x`
   print
   if hasattr(x, '__doc__'):
      print "Docstring:"
      print x.__doc__
   else:
      print "No docstring."

So I can just type

>>> doc(object)

> I'm using Python 2.1 on WinNT 4, if that's of any use.

On Linux I put that function in ~/.pythonrc, but I don't know where it goes
on WinNT. There should be a file that's executed before you enter the
interpreter.

--
Remco Gerlich