[Tutor] Viewing __doc__ strings

Walter Moreira wall@adinet.com.uy
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:53:21 -0300

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 03:41:03PM +0100, Allan Crooks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyway to make Python display __doc__ strings without all the "\n" characters? I know I could manually split it and then rejoin it, but surely there's an easier way?
>
> I'm using Python 2.1 on WinNT 4, if that's of any use.

Use the pydoc module which is included in 2.1. For example:

    >>> def f(x):
    ...	    """A dummy function.
    ...	    It returns x.
    ...	    """
    ...	    return x
    >>> f.__doc__
    'A dummy function.\n\tIt returns x.\n\t'

    >>> from pydoc import help
    >>> help(f)
    Help on function f in module __main__:

    f(x)
	A dummy function.
	It returns x.

pydoc is really cool!!

Regards:
Walter

--
Walter Moreira  <> Centro de Matematica  <> Universidad de la Republica
                 |               -- Ambrose Bierce. Devil's Dictionary
               --+--