[Tutor] Re: python question

Richard P. Muller rpm@wag.caltech.edu
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:10:12 -0700

> tutor-request@python.org wrote:

> Subject: [Tutor] python question...
> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kelly Brett <inkedmcse@yahoo.com>
> To: tutor@python.org
>
> hello-
>
> i'm brand new to programming, and i'm very excited about learning
> python.  I've used the "instant hacking" tutorial on the website, and
> it's making total sense.  i'm just wondering how it is that somebody
> can get good at this stuff.  i understand that practice makes perfect,
> but it just seems like there are so many directions that can be
> taken.
>
> so, beside the aforementioned tutorial, what is a good resource that
> won't confuse the crap out of me?

You already answered your question, in part. The way to get better at
Python is simply to use it. Everywhere. Next time you have a simple
repetitive task to do on the computer, think about how you could do it
with Python. Hackers are generally lazy people, and would rather figure
out an elegant programming solution to a problem rather than have to
repeat some boring task over and over again.

I like Lutz/Ascher's "Learning Python" as a good into. After a while
you'll find all books rather limiting, though. Now I mostly just flip
through the Library Reference from the Python docs.

Some of the best advice anyone ever gave me was to "collect toys". Bill
McCurdy (now at LBL) told me this, in regard to how to be a better
computational chemist, but it applies to computer programming as well.
Next time you hear about some interesting idea (such as XML), algorithm
(such as quick sort), or program, rather than just read about it, code
up a simple "toy" version of it. It's amazing how much more you learn
when you actually try to program something -- it forces you to
understand every facet of the idea rather than simply the jist.

Rick