[Tutor] Central Python Library / Viewing __doc__ strings

Allan Crooks allan.crooks@btinternet.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:28:38 +0100

Hi,

First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my message. Needless to say, I feel somewhat stupid for not trying print. :)

Thanks for the scripts people sent as well. I'm growing somewhat fond of Patrick's however, so I'll probably use that over Pydoc's. Thanks very much Patrick. :)

BTW, does anyone know how Pydoc retrieves the arg list for functions when you use help?

e.g.

>>> def t(x,y,s,ll,m,f=None,n=2):
..   print x,y,s,ll,m,f,n

>>> pydoc.help(t)

Help on function t in module __main__:

t(x, y, s, ll, m, f=None, n=2)

Which now brings me to my next question: Is there a central repository of functions that exist somewhere? Something like a utility module? It just seems a shame for all these methods to just float around without having a home of some sort...

Thanks again,
Allan.