[Tutor] a db question

Doug Stanfield DOUGS@oceanic.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:42:06 -1000

[William N Carey asked:]
> I couldn't successfully load a text file which consists of a 12
> character key and a 38 character text string as the record.  The
> problem is that the file consist of  about 800,000 records.  I
> used  "anydb" which on my machine uses bsddb as the default (I
> believe).  After about 120,000 records the load would halt with
> an "error: (0, 'error')"

I have had similar experiences with the db files on Windows.  I know others
have also because there are alternatives to the standard bsddb.  I gave up
on the platform and moved to Linux where everything worked great, but if you
can't do that there may be other solutions.

> I suspect that I am asking the "db" routines to do too much, but
> that is disappointing to me, because Python has always done
> whatever I wanted in my limited past with it.

Don't blame it on Python! The blame lies elsewhere.  One fix might be a
different database type; I've heard good things about Gadfly and Metakit.
Check out the database page at the Vaults of Parnassus:

http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/973100124

HTH

-Doug-