[Tutor] basic gadfly question

W. Jarrett Campbell jarrett@engineer.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:56:24 -0500

I'm new to the world of Python, Databases, and SQL but it has been a fun
adventure so far!  What a great resource this tutor mailing list is.  Thank
you all for your support of newbies!

I have basic question regarding the Gadfly package.  I'm working with the
sample database generated by the gftest.py module.  I'm trying to execute an
SQL statement such as:

INSERT INTO frequents (DRINKER, BAR) values ('Jarrett', 'cheers')

When I do this I get an error back saying that I did not define a value for
the column 'PERWEEK'

My questions are these?  Do you have to set all values in the insert
statement or is there some way around this?  Is this bad database
programming form to want to set only some fields?  Is this related to gadfly
not supporting Null values?

When using the ODBC package in the win32all distribution, I can achieve this
functionality with MS Access databases.  I wanted to stick with gadfly to
remain platform independent and not require my users to purchase Access.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

W. Jarrett Campbell
jarrett@engineer.com