[Tutor] basic gadfly question

Cynic cynic@mail.cz
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:37:12 +0200

At 21:04 11.6. 2001, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote the following:
>At 1:56 PM -0500 6/11/01, W. Jarrett Campbell wrote:
>>I have basic question regarding the Gadfly package.  I'm working with the
>>sample database generated by the gftest.py module.  I'm trying to execute an
>>SQL statement such as:
>>
>>INSERT INTO frequents (DRINKER, BAR) values ('Jarrett', 'cheers')
>>
>>When I do this I get an error back saying that I did not define a value for
>>the column 'PERWEEK'
>>
>>My questions are these?  Do you have to set all values in the insert
>>statement or is there some way around this?
>
>Gadfly requires this. It is not a constraint of SQL generally.
>
>>Is this bad database
>>programming form to want to set only some fields?  Is this related to gadfly
>>not supporting Null values?

NULL values are BAD. Learn about SQL, and you'll understand why.

>No, but since it doesn't support nulls, that's a design compromise.
>
>>When using the ODBC package in the win32all distribution, I can achieve this
>>functionality with MS Access databases.  I wanted to stick with gadfly to
>>remain platform independent and not require my users to purchase Access.
>>Any advice?
>
>There are also other cross-platform databases that don't require licenses (mysql, postgres, berkeleydb). I know nothing about their support on Windows but use the first two on Linux.

win32 MySQL is great. easy to setup -- just a regular windows installer.
also, the support is good. postgres, on the other hand, was a bitch to get
running (on windows), at least when I tried, which was almost two years ago. :)
and, the mailing lists supposedly provide less help.

>But none are as simple to set up as gadfly.

I have never heard of that, let alone use it, so I do know.