[Tutor] Threads.... Unhandle my Exception you Feind!

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:09:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 kromag@nsacom.net wrote:

> > Let's look at the rest of the program:
> >
> > > import string
> > > import thread
> > >
> > > engine=win32com.client.Dispatch("DAO.DBEngine.35")
> > > db=engine.OpenDatabase("windowsdesktopterror.mdb")
> >
> > Ok, I'm not imagining things after all.  *grin* There are backslashes on
> > this line: can you double check?
>
> But, but, but..... Really! I am looking at the code I pasted in! It has
> double backslashes! What manner of madness? Surely your mail agent doesn't
> parse them into links? Anyway, I tried it with the r"pathtofile" method
> and got the same error:

Strange!  Now I'm really confused.  I'm using Pine as my email program,
which I don't think does any email preprocessing.  My apologies for my
earlier message; I didn't realize the messages were being mangled.  Sorry
about the confusion there.  What kind of email program are you using?

> >pythonw -u dbwrong.py
> Unhandled exception in thread:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "dbwrong.py", line 15, in write
>     db.Execute("insert into data values(%f, '%s')" % inputtage)
> AttributeError: 'None' object has no attribute 'Execute'
> >Exit code: 0

The assumption I'm working on is that 'db' itself is None.  If you could
add the line:

###
if db == none:
    print "We didn't get the database connection yet."
###

right before the Execute, that will help test this guess.  I'm focusing on
the engine.OpenDatabase() call earlier, because that's where 'db' is being
initialized.

> Ah well. I am going to not think about it for a week. That has
> traditionally been the length of time it takes for the answer to
> coalesce out of the aether! :-)

Don't worry about it.  My head is starting to spin too... *grin* Again,
sorry about the bad advice earlier.  I have to learn to be more careful
when I'm reading messages.

You may want to talk with the people on the db-sig a bit more; it sounds
like they have good experience with the Jet database stuff.  Good luck to
you!