[Edu-sig] RE: [Tutor] a couple of ideas I've been bouncing around

Kevin & Masako Ollivier guess-who@kevin-masako.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:48:49 -0400

Hi Patrick and Rob,

I also like both of your ideas! (BTW, thanks Patrick for sharing this with
the edu-sig list! I had not realized there was also a Tutor list!)

Building on the ideas you presented, what about an software tool (possibly
an "enhanced" version of IDLE?) that gives learners a set of successively
harder programming tasks? At any point, the learner can jump to a virtual
"help center" and view tutorials, the Python references, FAQs/trivia, or
even be given a way to ask a question on the lists. As the learner
successfully complete the tasks given to them, the software will keep a
record and let them know how far they are towards "mastery." (Of course,
true mastery comes only with experience, but it's a start!) I think it has
elements of everything discussed thus far, trivia, tutor, and testing. While
I'm not sure how we could "officially" certify people who complete the
training, we can at least give them a list of all the skills they've
gathered over the course of the training, along with when they were last
assessed.

I think making "real-world tasks" would help increase motivation and give
them examples of what Python is typically used for. The more real it seems,
the more it will be part-game and part-edusoft I think. If we did it well
enough, it could even lead to a finished software product, which is at least
as good as a certificate IMHO!

What do you all think?

Kevin Ollivier