[Tutor] help for a beginner

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:56:38 +0200

Sez jay aliason:
> I am currently trying to learn the language that is Python.  The problem
> is the last language I ever programmed was BASIC.  So I need to know what
> tools I need to get started I.E.  -Start up platform
>
> -which version to use

Generally, the latest official version is a good bet.  Currently, this is
2.1, and it can be downloaded from
http://www.python.org/2.1/

I've heard people say that ActiveState Python is good for Windows users.
I don't know, but more info can be found on
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/

> -how to get the screen to let me type the language

You can use a editor/environment that comes with Python.  This can be IDLE,
which is included in the stadard Python distribution, or Pythonwin, which is
included with ActiveState Python.
In any of these tools, you have interactive interpreter windows for testing.
You can also edit python module files that you can save, distribute and run.
These can be edited in any text editor, but IDLE and Pythonwin have syntax
highlighting and indentation support that make writing Python easier.

A good tutorial is
http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/

Peace,
  Kalle