[Tutor] Re: [Edu-sig] RE: [Idle-dev] IDLE's save-before-run requirement

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:27:21 -0500

If we wrapped the necessary bits around Scintilla it might not be too hard.
At least we'd be starting with a lot of editor functionality - colorizing,
key bindings, code folding, etc. From what I understand Boa and PythonWin
both borrowed from IDLE but used Scintilla. I love Boa but it's design goal
is not the same as IDLE's. I also like PythonWin, but again, different
design goal. So what I would propose is a Scintilla-based (for lack of a
better alternative) IDE that is cross-platform (to the extent possible, but
at least Win and Linux and, hopefully, Mac), interactive, easy, helpful and
part of the standard distribution. I could help manage the process, but I'm
not up to the challenge of doing all the code.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech
"I am, therefore I think."

-----Original Message-----
From: edu-sig-admin@python.org [mailto:edu-sig-admin@python.org]On Behalf Of
Mats Wichmann
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 1:57 PM
To: pobrien@orbtech.com; idle-dev@python.org; Python Edu SIG; Python Tutor
Subject: RE: [Tutor] Re: [Edu-sig] RE: [Idle-dev] IDLE's save-before-run
requirement

 >And it would be
 >nice if these were GUI independent so that we could go from Tkinter to
 >wxWindows, for example, if we wanted to.

I once asked about something like this.  I believe right now
IDLE, at least, is not constructed in such a way that it
would be easy to rip out the Tkinter dependence so it could
be changed to something else, either permanently or for
plug-replacable graphics toolkits.

I wonder how much work that really would be, and if anybody
has any interest in it.  Not sure if there's really enough
value to be gained to make it worthwhile.

Mats