[Tutor] General Programming Question

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:42:08 -0700

At 1:26 PM -0700 6/26/01, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
>What you need depends on what aspect(s) of programming you go into.
>Regardless of what you ultimately choose, Python is a transparent
>enough

Gah, I got interrupted mid-sentence again and forgot to go back and edit. Boo.

Python's syntax is transparent enough, and you can use it in enough
different kinds of ways, that if you learned Python fully, you'd know
how to do procedural programming (i.e. C, Fortran, Pascal), OO
programming (Squeak, Smalltalk, Objective-C, and, to a lesser extent,
C++ and Java), and Functional Programming (Lisp, Guile, ML).

Thus, a transition to any of those languages would be relatively easy.
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....