[Tutor] General Programming Question

Israel Evans israel@lith.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:07:22 -0700

I've been snooping around and have found a site that might interest any
compiler developers out there.  The site is www.cminusminus.org .  The
philosophy is on of clarity and portability.   It seems this might be a good
target for any would be Python Compilers.

~Israel~
-----Original Message-----
From: Deirdre Saoirse Moen [mailto:deirdre@deirdre.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 1:49 PM
To: Israel Evans; tutor@python.org
Subject: RE: [Tutor] General Programming Question

At 1:40 PM -0700 6/26/01, Israel Evans wrote:

>I'd like to know if there was a way to compile Python to native machine
>code, would it run as fast as say C++ or Java?  If it did would there be
>anything in the way of Guido World Domination?  :)

There are reasons that Python is difficult to write a compiler for.
However, these are subtle issues that compiler people argue over and
most of the arguments are over my head. (I have written compilers,
but not very complex ones).
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....