[Tutor] f5 in IDLE--unexpected behavior

lha2 lha2@thesquare.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:32:23 -0400

So I'm teaching Python at a math camp, and we're having the darndest time figuring out why Python seems to be ignoring the student's module when we import it using <f5> in the active window in IDLE.

It turns out that if the document has the same name as an internal or toolbox module (in this case, the student had named the document in her a: drive to be "time.py"), IDLE will import the toolbox module, not the one in which f5 is being pressed.

Don't know whether this is documented behavior, but thought I'd post it as a something to look out for.

-Lloyd Hugh Allen