[Tutor] General Programming Question

M.A. Powe michael@trollope.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:48:50 -0700

    Tracey> For learning scheme, you might consider the book:
    Tracey> "Structure and Interpretationof Computer Programs" by
    Tracey> Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman and Julie Sussman.

    Tracey> This is what is used at Berkeley to teach begining
    Tracey> programming :)

Yes, and well they should!  Unfortunately, it's not a good book for an
autodidact unless you've a pretty good mathematical background or some
kind of natural skill with math concepts.  <Scheme and the Art of
Programming> is better but still a tough row to hoe.  I have a goodly
collection of Scheme books.  Books are no substitute for grey matter,
I'm afraid.  At least <The Little Schemer> was fun!

I'm going to spend the next few months getting OOP down as best I can,
so I can get a decent handle on python.  Hey -- no recursion!!  Yeah!
;-)

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Portland, Oregon USA
'Unless we approve your idea, it will not be permitted, it will not be