[Tutor] more newbie questions: variables without a value

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:44:02 -0700

At 9:33 PM +0200 6/28/01, Brendon wrote:
>  > >the line: "for msg in note:" doesn't seem to make sense because "msg" has
>>  > no value nor is it pointing to "note".
>>
>>  There's an implied assignment that the first variable is assigned to
>>  the current value of the second part. Like:
>>
>>  for i in xrange(25, 51, 5):
>>    print i
>
>oh, ofcourse.. (!..) sorry, i keepon thinking about C loops :)

In C, the assignment is more explicit:

for (i = 25; i < 51; i++)
  printf("%d\n", i);

Strangely, this is the first time I've thought the C syntax was more
obvious simply and only because the python syntax confused you.

The "x in foo" construct is also used in SQL, so I'm used to seeing it.
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....