[Tutor] My two cents worth re Python Newbies

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:14:16 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, R. A. wrote:

> Your post seems thoughtful, and hardly flameworthy.  This list is an
> exceptional resource, and it's nice to see that others appreciate it
> enough to express concern.  I find nothing to criticize about Python
> Tutor, but you do remind us of a few significant points.

(apologies in advance for the Perl reference)

I find the following quote from the Camel book quite ironic and
appropriate:

"Like Perl itself, comp.lang.perl.misc is meant to be useful, and no
question is too silly to ask.  [Footnote: Of course, some questions are
too silly to answer, especially those already answered in the FAQ.]"

And that's one way to handle new people: toss them out the door with a
pointer to the FAQ.  Not to say that reading FAQ's isn't useful, but it
can be a little rough at first.

Let's make people feel at ease when they're asking questions.  Of course,
we should encourage people to use the FAQ and search for resources, but I
think it don't hurt to also give them something to look at.