[Tutor] software design

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:37:33 -0000

> > Does anyone know of a good scource on how to design
> programs before you start programming?

Hmm, I'm about to hijack a thread that was already only
marginally Python related... maybe replies to me
privately would be in order?

> professionals and academics may have different opinions, it
> appears that it is the kinda thing you just get a feel for.

I agree about the process. But a good notation can help
capture the design concisely and identify flaws.
Now there are many notations available for software engineers
but mainly they come with an accompanying methodology(*) which
is usually overkill for small/medium sized projects.

I have long had the notion to write a book capturing just
the notations and describing what each is good for (things
like flow charts, data flows, entity diagrams, state charts,
herring bones, and the whole UML set of diagrams etc). A small
case study for each one too. But definitely no methodologies,
just a description of the tool and how to use it.

What do people think? Is there a need/market for such a book
amongst practicing programmers?

Alan g.