[Tutor] GUI Apps

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:33:43 -0500

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 01:38:25AM -0500, Sascharrer@aol.com wrote:
| Hi, there!
|
| Is it better to use Tkinter or wxPython for creating GUI-Applications with
| Python?

Whichever one suits you better.  I know, not a very good answer, but
it's the most accurate one.

| Which of them is quicker?

Don't know.  Doesn't really matter much overall.

| Why is Tkinter the standard graphics library for Python?

Tkinter has been around and is on a lot of platforms.  Personally, I
hate the way the widgets look.  I think Tk is ugly.  I think wxPython
looks a lot better, (sometimes, I don't like the Motif look either).
wxPython has the advantage for users of appearing just like native
applications since it is a Python wrapper for a C++ wrapper for the
native toolkit.

Coding style is also significant when choosing a toolkit.  I like the
GTK style of coding (widget hierarchy, the functions to manipulate the
widgets) quite a bit.  I also like the way GTK handles layout of
widgets, and libglade is very cool for fast development and easy
changes.  I haven't gotten very involved with wxPython yet so I don't
know if I can work well with it's layout scheme.  (I have used Swing
and am constantly fighting to get the windows to look halfway decent)

Other than describing some of the differences between the toolkits and
various things that I like/dislike I can't do much for helping you
decide on a toolkit.  If you can provide some more requirements or
preferences for your own development, maybe we can provide more
details regarding the various toolkits available to python
programmers.

-D