[Tutor] Python Daemon(Service)

Stephen L Arnold sarnold@earthling.net
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:14:12 -0800

On 11 Mar 01, at 19:34, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Sheila King wrote:
>
> > I am mildly surprised at the very Unix-centric trend that recent
> > (within the next year or so), and when I do, I think I will put a dual
> > boot option on it, and have a Linux drive. But for now, I am without. (I
> > am only mildly acquainted with Unix: took one university programming
> > course in C++ on Unix systems...and host my website off of a Linux
> > server.)

Until you get the dual-boot setup, you can always try Cygwin.  It
gives you many Linux/unix type tools (bash, make, gcc, perl,
python, etc) on win32 and a way to build apps for various
platforms.  You could also run Linux on surplus hardware; I have
two servers here that are old pentiums built from surplus parts
(and they perform surprisingly well).

> For a lot of us,  we're hard-core Unix people. The reason I never answer
> Windows questions is pretty simple: I've never been a Windows user. Never
> owned a Windows machine. Right now, I run Python on Linux, Solaris and
> MacOS.

I guess I'm trying to use less windoze and more Linux.  Right now I
kind of straddle the fence (but I have very little NT or 2K
experience yet).  I'll try to help with windows stuff where I can,
as I learn python.

Steve

Steve Arnold                          sarnold@arnolds.dhs.org
Assoc. Faculty, Dept of Geography, Allan Hancock College
           http://arnolds.dhs.org/geography.html

Linux:  It's not just for nerds anymore...