[Tutor] Breaking string at commas

Wesley J. Chun wesc@deirdre.org
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:52:51 -0800

    > From: "Shawhan, Douglas (GEAE, GECC)" <douglas.shawhan@ae.ge.com>
    > Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:29:35 -0500
    >
    > I am trying to write a script that will take comma seperated text from a
    > file, break the strings into seperate units at the linefeeds then seperate
    > the comma seperated text into strings, insert html formatting then output
    > the whole shebang into an html file.

douglas,

the basic recipe i would use is:

1. use file.readlines() to get list of input lines (broken @ linefeeds)
    (the new file.xreadlines() can be used for large input files)

2. use string.split() to get comma-separated text string list
    (split() [and join()] are string module functions or string methods)

3. use string.join() to merge the strings together with the HTML
    formatting and calling file.write() to output to a HTML file

hope this helps!

-wesley

Silicon Valley-SF Bay Area Python users group:  http://www.baypiggies.org

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, December 2000
    http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0130260363.html

wesley.j.chun :: wesc@baypiggies.org
cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca
cyberweb_consulting@yahoo.com
http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/