[Tutor] Real World Python

Michael P. Reilly arcege@shore.net
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:00:47 -0500 (EST)

> Ok, the point?  I thought it might be interesting if we posted some of the
> more down to earth Real World uses of Python when we came across them.  The
> question seems to keep coming up (especially from newer people) about what
> can be done with Python or who's using Python.  I mean, a lot of us have
> heard about how NASA and Disney and ILM are using it, but how many of us
> (especially people new to the language) are going to be working in or
> visiting any of those places any time soon? (I think Ron and I probably
> live closest to NASA's JSC...I'm not planning any trips in the near future,
> how about you Ron?) On the other hand, the Blade of Darkness demo is
> included on the Maximum PC CD that came in the mail earlier this week, and
> is on newstands now.  I suddenly have more incentive to install the
> demo.  It seems that if we had more of these examples, the answer to that
> oft-asked question could become, "You can use Python in about 10
> minutes.  Just go load up that game/app that uses it and get to typing!"

I've been using Python heavily in the lab this week.  I'm no winblows
user, but we have NT in the lab.  It's hard to get services (FTPD, Web
server) running, especially if you don't have the service CD.

A few months ago, I wrote a cross-platform FTPD in python.  I haven't
really tested it heavily, but it works for the most part.  I did a
complete copy of a directory tree from a Win98 box to a WinNT (running
my ftpd.py).

This is all to set up a demo for our CEO where two web clients (WinXX)
talk to a web server (WinNT), which is really SimpleHTTPServer.py,
communicating through our networking prototype.

In other areas, I wrote a fair portion of some system level bits of our
product in Python; things like booting, upgrade, system management.
I'm not sure how much the company would like that being advertised tho -
they don't care to even say what the platform is. *hehe*

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly, Release Manager  | Email: arcege@shore.net        |
| Salem, Mass. USA  01970             |                                |