[Tutor] multi-user program question

Timothy Condit tcondit@gblx.net
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:52:26 -0700

Hi,

This is not really a python question in the strict sense; if this is the
wrong place to ask, just say so.

I'm going to be writing a python script for use by several (~15) people
here at work. It will allow users to request paid time off (vacations,
personal days, etc.). Before getting too far into it, I'm trying to work
out a couple questions.

I'm working on UNIX, and want to use the filesystem to store info about
the user's personal info (passwords, usernames, etc.), and their pto
request info.

What I'm thinking right now is that I want to make a /home/pto/
directory, then make a password file within there, or in /etc/pto, then
add user directories inside /home/pto/ to hold pto request info. I've
got root access to the UNIX box, but don't want to use that for
anything. I've been thinking about just going in and creating the pto
dir manually, then using it to store all that info, but there are a
couple problems with that approach, too.

These are the things I'm trying to figure out:

* what is the best way to store the pto request info? Creating a home
dir requires root access, so I want to find an alternative to that.

* if using a pto home dir turns out to be the best way to go, how can I
run a script as user pto? A friend of mine says he runs perl scripts
this way, but I cannot figure out how (and he's not around).

* if I use the /home/pto/<user>/ directory scheme, how can I arrange so
that an admin (my boss) can still view all that info but users cannot
view each other's info? There will only be one admin account, who will
add and delete users, accept/decline pto requests, etc. So he needs to
be able to view all user info.

I am inclined to think that these sort of issues have come up and been
resolved by others, and am curious about any good ideas anyone has. I've
got my own ideas, but so far nothing that feels quite right.

Thanks in advance,

--
Tim Condit
Det-NCC