[Tutor] Speaking of Linked Lists...

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:25:01 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Britt Green wrote:

> Since the topic of linked lists came up recently, I was hoping someone
> could tell me exactly what they're used for. I understand the how-to
> of coding them, but not the why.

Well, if you don't know how many of something you'll have, but you know
it'll be more than one.

For example, linked lists are often used to store information about the
documents an application has open (i.e., its file name, whether or not the
doc is "dirty" (has unsaved changes), what window(s) it might have
associated with it).

--
_Deirdre   NEW Stash-o-Matic: http://fuzzyorange.com  http://deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams