[Tutor] Wrapping C++ in Python?

Stephen L Arnold sarnold@earthling.net
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:06:32 -0800

On 22 Mar 01, at 22:19, Kalle Svensson wrote:

> Sez VanL:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've got some C++ files (a very modest implementation of a an
> > OpenGL-animated world) and I would like to wrap them in Python, so
> > that I can script the actions of players in the world by using
> > Python.
> >
> > Any pointers on where to start looking?  Docs, etc?
>
> I've heard that Boost Python is good.
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html
>
> There is a tool called SIP, part of PyKDE.
> http://www.thekompany.com/projects/pykde/
[snip]

I think the one you want to try first is SWIG:

http://www.swig.org

The others are SIP, SILOON, and py_cpp.  I can't tell you much more
than that (no personal experience) but what I did say is fresh from
the Python conference two weeks ago.

I highly recommend the Python conference (it's the best nerd
gathering I've ever been to).  If you can swing the next one, go
(you'll be glad you did).

Steve

Steve Arnold                          sarnold@arnolds.dhs.org
Assoc. Faculty, Dept of Geography, Allan Hancock College
           http://arnolds.dhs.org/geography.html

Linux:  It's not just for nerds anymore...