[Tutor] Windows Programs

Tim Johnson tim@johnsons-web.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 15:39:51 -0900

Hello:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Daniel Yoo wrote:
>
> > By a Windows program, do you mean one with menubars, buttons, and
> > labels?  If so, then you'll want to look into Tkinter.  (I know that
> > Perl has something similar called Perl::Tk, but for C... hmm... I
> > guess you could work with straight Tk.)
>
> Well, Tkinter is easy and cross-platform but ugh it's ugly (and poorly
> documented).

I would concur with Dierdre here, however, python does provide with tkinter
a "free" way to build windows-style GUIs, whether for MS-Windows or XWindows.

Two Books to mention:
1)"Teach yourself Python in 24 Hours" by Ivan Van Laningham, gets into tkinter
from beginners level upward. I found it a good way to start.
2)"Python and Tkinter Programming" by John Grayson is very indepth with tkinter,
but is pretty advanced. Purchase of the book does give you access to a private
website for support, and from what I have seen of it, Grayson answers many of
the questions himself.

Also, since this thread does seem to consider some other languages:

Dynace: http://server1.florida-software.com/algorithms/
is an object-oriented extension of C (not C++) , with a (MS)window interface,
and has a egroup list, I believe.

Rebol: www.rebol.com is a scripting language - like and unlike - python with
has it's own GUI overlay called "view".
That is, rebol offers a series of incrementally more complex binary
interpreters, starting with "core", then "view" with the GUI ability,
those are free. Successive enhancements have to be purchased

Borland and Microsoft offer drag-and-drop development environments for
GUI development in C++ but :
1)They are quite proprietory
2)And you pay.......

Starting with python and tkinter is really a good way to go.
  --
Tim Johnson